Epping Forest District Museum
Tel: 01992 716882
Entry to the museum is free.
Epping Forest District Museum tells the story of the Epping Forest district through its collections of over 50,000 objects including
• Social History
The newly redeveloped museum has enabled us to showcase many more items in the collection than have been on display before.
A brand new gallery, The Core Gallery, features a cabinet of curiosities for visitors to explore. Showcasing some of our fascinating collections of objects from tea pots to bottles, this special gallery also features windows into our behind the scenes areas allowing visitors to see the storage areas and work areas for the first time. These windows allow visitors to peer into the art and costume stores as well as a space used to work on the collections.
As well as the fantastic galleries for you to visit at the museum we also offer a wide variety of events and activities for all ages. From drop in family activities to artist led workshops, talks, tours and special events there is something for everyone in our new programme.
The team also runs a variety of events out and about all over the district.
Epping Forest District Museum is committed to providing access to all. Outreach services are also available including talks, study days, school workshops and memory boxes. Call the museum on 01992 716882 to find out more. The museum welcomes assistance dogs and water can be provided if required.
- Groups Accepted - By arrangement.
- In town/city centre
- Indoor Attraction
- Accessible Lift
- All Areas Accessible to Disabled Visitors - Step-free entry access is available throughout the museum. Toilets are located on the ground floor and second floor. A unisex accessible toilet suitable for wheelchair users is available. Baby changing facilities are also available.
- Disabled persons toilet
- Guide Dogs Permitted - The museum welcomes assistance dogs and water can be provided if required.
- Ramp/Level Access
- Wheelchair user accessible
Children & Infants
- Babes in Arms
- Baby changing
- Family Friendly, Children Welcome
Parking & Transport
- Bus stop within walking distance - A bus stop is located within a 2 minute walk of the museum.
- Free parking - Free parking is currently available at the Abbey Gardens carpark which is a 10 minute walk from the museum.
- Parking (charge) - Payand display parking is available in the town centre, the nearest car park is Quaker Lane car park which is a 2 minute walk from the museum.
- Parking (free) - Free parking is currently available at the Abbey Gardens carpark which is a 10 minute walk from the museum.
- All weather attraction
- Event Venue - There is a gallery space and educational space available for hire.
- Garden / Grounds for visitors use - The museum has a delightful garden which is a beautiful open space featuring a beautiful mosaic commemorating the museum’s redevelopment. Activities are often held here during the summer months.
- Gift shop - The museum’s reception and shop are located on the ground floor where a great selection of local history books, gifts and souvenirs are on offer for all ages and pockets.
- Groups by arrangement
- Groups welcome
- Toilets - Toilets are located on the ground floor and second floor. A unisex accessible toilet suitable for wheelchair users is available. Baby changing facilities are also available.
- Family Fun
- Marketed Towards Children
- Marketed Towards Families
- Marketed Towards Senior Citizens
- Marketed towards student/youth
Tours and Demonstrations
- Educational Visits Accepted
Map & Directions
The Museum is located in the heart of the historic town of Waltham Abbey, situated just outside the M25 between Epping Forest and the Lee Valley. From the M25, leave at junction 26 and follow the signs to Waltham Abbey.
Free parking is currently available at the Abbey Gardens carpark which is a 10 minute walk from the museum. Further pay and display parking is available in the town centre, the nearest car park is Quaker Lane car park which is a 2 minute walk from the museum.
Public Transport Directions
The museum is a 25 minute walk from Waltham Cross Railway Station. A taxi rank is located outside the station. Buses also operate from Waltham Cross Bus Station which is a 5 minute walk from the station and a bus stop is located within a 2 minute walk of the museum. Other bus routes include 213 (Regal Buses) from Epping, 66 (EOS London) from Loughton, 86 (EOS London) from Harlow and 251 (Arriva) from Upshire.
|General opening times (1 Jan 2017 - 31 Dec 2017)|
|Monday - Wednesday||10:00||- 16:00|
* Entry is Free. Check the Museum website for details of special events and opening times.