Parent and child can share a ticket. Please refer to website for ticket types and prices.
Thornwood Springs Trout Fishery - fine trout, fine days and great company.
Thornwood Springs are spring-fed trout lakes for exclusive fly fishing on crystal clear water. Fish for rainbow and brown trout. Day and season tickets available and instruction can be arranged. Easy catch/keep area and release option. Fish from 1.5 to 20lbs.
Tackle can be hired or purchased at the tackle shop where a wide range of tackle is on sale. Events are also run during the year.
The complex of lakes and pools are suitable for stalking due to the clarity. The lake beds are gravel clay, sand and chalk mix so cover a wide range of insect life and hatches. Mayfly, damsels, buzzers, sedges etc from the lake and huge terrestrial hatches from the surrounding land and hedgerows with the hawthorn fly hatch being particularly memorable. Suiting the traditional fly fisherman as such a varied insect life abounds and dry fly was in the catch book for eleven months last year!
The lakes are stocked weekly with hard fighting fin perfect rainbow and brown trout well into double figures. The setting is open countryside adjacent to Epping Forest and is magnet for all types of wildlife and birds with an abundance of birds of prey. All lakes are highly featured and offer a variety of depths down to 23 feet so summer fishing is still good due to the highly oxygenated crystal clear spring water. The fish also taste great due to the chalk bed and springs.
- Countryside Setting
- Forest Location - Next to South Forest.
- In countryside - Rolling Fields backdrop.
- Outdoor Attraction
- Smoking Areas Available
- Disabled Parking
- Guide Dogs Permitted
- Parking Areas for Disabled Visitors
Children & Infants
- Family Friendly, Children Welcome - Children must be accompanied by an adult.
Parking & Transport
- Free parking
- Off-road parking
- On Site Car Parking
- Parking (free)
- Railway station within 5 miles - Epping Station on the Central Line 1.5 miles away.
- Railway station within walking distance - Epping Station 1.5 miles away.
- Secure cycle parking
- Private fishing rights - For day ticket use.
- BBQs for visitors use
- Catering for groups - By prior arrangement.
- Outdoor eating area
- Picnic area
- Refreshments Available
- Vending Facilities - Free tea/coffee for those fishing.
- Max group size - Groups from 4 to 20 can be arranged for fishing instruction.
- Special group rates
- Visa accepted
- Club house
- Garden / Grounds for visitors use
- Gay/Lesbian Friendly
- Groups by arrangement
- Groups welcome
- Open all year round
- Open Christmas
- Open New Year
- Open on bank holidays
- Stag and hen parties welcome
- Team / Corporate Activities
- Family Fun
- Marketed Towards Children - Children must be accompanied by an adult.
- Marketed Towards Families
- Marketed Towards Senior Citizens
- Marketed towards student/youth
Tours and Demonstrations
- Demonstrations Given - Fly casting lessons for the whole family.
- Educational Visits Accepted
- Guided Tours Available for Individuals
Travel & Trade
- Group discounts available
Map & Directions
Just north of Epping Town, Thornwood is the first village as you head towards Harlow/M11 junction.
From junction 7 on the M11, head towards Epping. One mile from the junction, Carpenters Arms Lanes is on the right opposite the speed camera!
Thornwood Springs is also close to junction 26 on the M25. Follow the signs to Epping / Harlow.
Public Transport Directions
Only 1.5 miles from Epping Station on the Central Line. Taxis and buses available at the station.
|Open New Year|
* Open all year 8am till dark.